Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Plugging Away

Tardily, via Locus, I see that James Sallis has been profiled in the Los Angeles Times.

Well, it’s about time. I’ve been a fan of Jim Sallis’s writing for years - I still remember being knocked out by the delicate, elliptical evocations of otherness in ‘Letter to a Young Poet’ and ‘Faces, Hands’ back in the late 1960s. He’s edited New Worlds, written a couple of dozen sf stories (collected in Time’s Hammers), still reviews for the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, but these days he’s best known for his Lew Griffin mysteries, set in New Orleans. Now he’s two books into another mystery series, and from the profile I learnt about a novella, Drive, published by a small press that I immediately ordered from Big South American River. If only I was more on the ball -- I could have bought it in Powells last year, when I was in Oregon doing research.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts